Tutor Policy

  • As stipulated in Article 14 ④ of the Tutor Terms each tutor shall be responsible for filing his/her own tax declarations in the country of residence.

    Tax reporting responsibilities and procedures differ from country to country, and may be quite complicated. If you have any questions as to how to correctly file your taxes you should check the homepage of your country's tax agency or book a consultation with your local tax office.

  • United States residents should consult the Internal Revenue Service. ( Self Employment should apply for most tutors. )
    ➔  http://www.irs.gov/

    For UK residents there is HM Revenue and Customs.
    ➔  http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/

  •  How to download documents required to file a tax return

    In all countries you will be required to submit Supporting Business Documents that prove your income and expenses.
    For reports on the income generated through Cafetalk you may download it from the Payment Requests page (https://cafetalk.com/dashboard/tutor/account/sales/?lang=en )by selecting Create Payment Record Document.

    The following are a few important pieces of information for tax reporting in the United States. For other countries please contact your local tax agency for more information.

  •  Do you need to file a tax return?

    US Residents must file an income tax return if your net earnings from self-employment (i.e. earnings from Cafetalk) was more than $400 (under certain circumstances you may need to file one even if your earnings are less). To find out exactly whether or not you need to file taxes you can visit 1040 Central - the centralized one-stop-shop for tax filing in the United States. One of the first resources you can resort to is the Interactive Tax Assistant. Just give it a question and it will help you answer.

     What can you deduct?

    When you file a tax return you can deduct the cost of expenses necessary for you to run your business. In case of teaching online these are things like your laptop, headset and internet connection. You may even be able to deduct part of your mortgage or rent if you use teach from your home. Details can be found Deducting Business Expenses page on the IRS site.

     Other questions that you might be interested in

    Here's a list of questions that you as a tutor might be interested.
    You can answer them interactively from IRS's 1040 Central.
    Who can I claim as a dependent?

Got a question? Click to Chat